Sydney Steel Corporation Business Plan 2004-05 (continued)
The overall goal of SERL/Sysco is to create a vibrant industrial
site where new industries and businesses will locate. The site will
be a good place in which to work or establish a business. SERL/Sysco's
specific goals for 2004-2005 are:
- To promote sound occupational health and safety policies and
- To continue to fulfil all commitments for the wind-up of Sysco-provide
employment opportunities for steelworkers, seek the best return
on assets, pursue a site cleanup, and chart a new plan for the
future of the site.
- To remediate the site for future uses in an environmentally
- To redevelop the Sysco site into a premier industrial park,
providing business and other opportunities to the communities
of the Cape Breton Regional Municipality.
- To work with the community as partners on future directions
and opportunities for the Sysco site.
- To maximize financial returns to the shareholder from the sale
of scrap steel, the sale of slag, and the leasing of property
through sound financial management.