Sydney Steel Corporation Business Plan 2005-06 (continued)
The Corporations’ overall strategy is to advance the Province’s
objectives with respect to decommissioning, remediation, and future
use of the steel plant site. Overall, in these activities the underlying
goal is to protect the Province’s interests and its fiscal
position regarding the site.
More specifically the Corporations will:
- Continue to redevelop the SYSCO site into a premier industrial
park and increase marketing of the industrial park, providing
business and other opportunities to the communities of the Cape
Breton Regional Municipality.
- Maintain sound health and safety policies and practices in order
to minimize the potential risk of injury to workers, visitors,
tenants, suppliers, and others who may visit the site.
- Increase marketing efforts for air-cooled blast furnace slag,
scrap metal, and major equipment in order to maximize their financial
return to the Province.
- Continue to remediate land on the SYSCO site for future uses
in an environmentally sound manner, meeting the province’s
obligations and strengthening relations with the local community.
- Maintain adequate security on site to prevent the loss of provincial
property and site assets.
- Maintain high use of local labor and supplies, when the proper
training and feasibility exists.