Few significant buildings have been
constructed in this area, which was mainly used as a transportation
link between the finger piers and the rest of the site. A railway
embankment situated where the southern pier joined the shore bears
witness to this past. The in-load conveyor that connected the marginal
piers with the Blast Furnace Stockyard also crosses this area.
Only three buildings are located in the area today. The Harbour
Pump House, constructed in the early 20th century, drew salt water
from Sydney Harbour for use as a cooling agent in the steel making
process. Several electrical transformers are located in and around
this building. The Docks Offices and a small annex building lie
to the north of the Harbour Pump House. The latter remains in use
as part of the Tar Ponds Incinerator system.
Two large brick storage buildings were formerly located to the
east of the Harbour Pump House. Records indicate that the storage
buildings were constructed between around 1914 and removed by 1953.
The majority of open space in this area is covered with granular
materials. Slopes at certain locations show signs of surface erosion.
Stormwater catchbasins are located throughout the area, presenting
the possibility of siltation and sediment impacts to receiving waters.