Located immediately west of the Victoria Road overpass,
the former sites of the Wire Mill and Nail Mill are now vacant.
The parcel is bounded to the south by the Liquid Air facility, and
to the west by the Engineering Building (Figure 5-1).
Steel milling and finishing has been carried out in this area since
1910. After the closure of the Wire and Nail Mills in the 1970s,
the northern portion of the Nail Mill was used as the electrical
linesmen’s shop. Transformer storage and maintenance reportedly
took place in this area (pers. comm., G. Petrie, former General
Aside from the former Nail and Wire Mills, the RFM Lockers and
a stables building (later used for iron storage) were located in
SCU 11. The stables, which dated to the early 1900s, were demolished
around 1960, and the Wire and Nail Mills were demolished as part
of the PLI project in 1998. The RFM Locker Rooms were demolished
in September 2001, and the entire area is currently vacant.