Located to the south of the Rail Finishing Mill,
SCU 6 was occupied by the Tie Plate Shop building between about
1945 and 2001. This parcel of land is located adjacent to the former
Bar Mill (Figure 5-1). Several rail spur lines are located in this
The parcel has been used for steel milling and finishing since
the early 1900s. The building most recently was used for finished
rail storage prior to shipping. The building was of steel frame
construction with metal siding and roofing. The earth floor was
covered with slag fill, with isolated sections finished in concrete.
All environmental decommissioning of the structure was completed
prior to demolition of the building.
Several railway tracks are located throughout this area, and many
have been abandoned and covered with slag. Environmental issues
of concern associated with the rail tracks will include creosote
rail ties and potential contaminated soil under and adjacent to
the tracks. In the past, used oil was often used for dust suppression
on roadways on the steel plant property.