|Located on the western side of the steel
plant property, this parcel of land is bounded to the south and west
by Muggah Creek, to the east by the West Side Road, and to the north
by the Mobile Department area (Figure 5-1).
The area was historically a water lot prior to 1914, but was infilled
between 1914 and 1939. From the beginning of the plant, the parcel
has primarily been used as a main entrance to the steel plant, linking
Ferry Street to the property. In the past, used oil was often used
for dust suppression on roadways on the steel plant property.
Buildings located on the parcel include the sludge handling building
and associated offices related to the Tar Ponds incinerator. Currently,
the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Public Works (DTPW)
is using portions of the parcel as a temporary soil storage facility
as part of the Muggah Creek Interceptor Sewer project. The area
and buildings are maintained by DTPW. A walkthrough of the DTPW
buildings was not included in the scope of work for this assessment.
The results of testing performed by JDAC in 2000/2001 indicate
that one borehole location, MCES-005-MW, is located within this
area. No guideline values were exceeded in soil samples submitted
from this borehole. Groundwater from the same location exceeded
the Canadian Drinking Water Quality Guidelines for certain heavy
metals (sulfate, antimony, iron), EPA 625 (semi-volatile compounds
such as naphthalene), PAHs and HCNs. These contaminant groups are
consistent with Tar Ponds contamination.
|The majority of open space in this
area is covered with granular materials. Slopes at certain locations
show signs of surface erosion. Overland drainage in the area
may present the possibility of siltation and sediment impacts
to receiving waters.